The Culinary Skills program has been designed to provide graduates with the knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary to gain a career in the food service industry.
This program includes classroom-based studies as well as hands on training at our campus facilities. Through hands- on demonstrations and learning techniques students will also have the opportunity to learn a variety of cooking methods and techniques such as basic sweet and savory cuisine, baking, butchering, and many other important preparation methods. The successful graduate will be well versed in proper sanitation procedures, kitchen compliance, and will earn a Food Handler’s Safety Certificate as well.
Cooks perform some or all of the following duties:
- Prepare and cook complete meals or individual dishes and foods
- Prepare and cook special meals for patients as instructed by dietitian or chef
- Schedule and supervise kitchen helpers
- Oversee kitchen operations
- Maintain inventory and records of food, supplies and equipment
- May set up and oversee buffets
- May clean kitchen and work area
- May plan menus, determine size of food portions, estimate food requirements and costs, and monitor and order supplies
- May hire and train kitchen staff.