The Culinary Skills program has been designed to provide graduates with the knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary to gain a career in the food service industry.
This program includes classroom-based studies and requires 80% hands-on practical training at our on-site commercial kitchen. Through hands- on demonstrations and learning techniques students will also have the opportunity to learn a variety of cooking methods and techniques such as basic sweet and savory cuisine, baking, butchering, and many other important preparation methods. The successful graduate will be well versed in proper sanitation procedures, kitchen compliance, and will earn a Food Handler’s Safety Certificate as well.
Cooks perform some or all of the following duties:
- Prepare and cook complete meals or individual dishes and foods
- Prepare and cook special meals for patients as instructed by dietitian or chef
- Schedule and supervise kitchen helpers
- Oversee kitchen operations
- Maintain inventory and records of food, supplies and equipment
- May set up and oversee buffets
- May clean kitchen and work area
- May plan menus, determine size of food portions, estimate food requirements and costs, and monitor and order supplies
- May hire and train kitchen staff.
Culinary Skills Training at the Sault Campus
Private College Versus Public Community College
What is different about attending a Private Career College like Gates College VS Public Community Colleges like Fleming College, Confederation College, Sault College or Durham College?
Gates College is registered as a private career college and programs approved as vocational programs under the Private Career Colleges Act, 2005. Public Community Colleges such as Fleming College, Confederation College, Sault College and Durham College operate under a separate branch. There are benefits you may experience when attending a Private Career College like Gates College, that the Public Community Colleges may not offer.
- Small Class Sizes
- One course at a time Modular Based Learning
- Fixed Block Schedules
- Frequent Start Dates
- This program is currently being delivered in an Instructor-led online environment
A Gates College student will find that our Campuses and our On-Line experience is very student focused and always puts the students goal’s first!