The Accounting and Payroll Administrator program introduces students to a variety of the methods used for accounting and payroll administration ranging from computer-based accounting and payroll software to manual bookkeeping methods. Students develop the skills needed to maintain and balance various accounts for large- and small-scale projects and also receive training in preparing tax returns; creating statistical, financial and accounting reports; and completing and submitting government forms.
Over the course of the program, students will take several core courses to help prepare them for work as an accountant or payroll administrator. This program requires 20% of practical, hands on learning.
Bookkeepers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Keep financial records and establish, maintain and balance various accounts using manual and computerized bookkeeping systems
- Post journal entries and reconcile accounts, prepare trial balance of books, maintain general ledgers and prepare financial statements
- Calculate and prepare cheques for payrolls and for utility, tax and other bills
- Complete and submit tax remittance forms, workers’ compensation forms, pension contribution forms and other government documents
- Prepare tax returns and perform other personal bookkeeping services
- Prepare other statistical, financial and accounting reports.
Private College Versus Public Community College
What is different about attending a Private Career College like Gates College VS Public Community Colleges like Fleming College, Confederation College, Sault College or Durham College?
Gates College is registered as a private career college and programs approved as vocational programs under the Private Career Colleges Act, 2005. Public Community Colleges such as Fleming College, Confederation College, Sault College and Durham College operate under a separate branch. There are benefits you may experience when attending a Private Career College like Gates College, that the Public Community Colleges may not offer.
- Small Class Sizes
- One course at a time Modular Based Learning
- Fixed Block Schedules
- Frequent Start Dates
- This program is currently being delivered in an Instructor-led online environment
A Gates College student will find that our Campuses and our On-Line experience is very student focused and always puts the students goal’s first!