The Medical Office Assistant program prepares students in key aspects of health administration. Students will begin by cultivating a strong foundation of administrative, word processing and office support skills before focusing on developing the skills required to fulfill the administrative requirements expected in a medical or other health care administrative setting.
Medical Office Assistants perform some or all of the following duties:
- Schedule and confirm medical appointments and receive and communicate messages for medical staff and patients
- Prepare, key in, edit, and proofread medical records, reports, articles, case histories and correspondence from machine dictation, shorthand and handwritten notes using computers
- Interview patients in order to complete forms, documents and case histories
- Complete insurance and other claim forms
- Initiate and maintain confidential medical files and records
- Prepare financial statements and billing procedures
- Order supplies and maintain inventory
- Determine and establish office procedures and routines
- May supervise and train other staff in procedures and in use of current software.